The COP26 conference took place in November last year with a lot expected of the conference. We have pulled together some of the main outcomes from the conference below.
- A pledge by 100 countries to restore the world’s forests by 2030.
- Nearly 100 nations have agreed to cut methane emissions by 30% by 2030, compared to levels in 2020.
- 190 nations have pledged to phase out coal fired electricity generation.
- The US and China (the two largest polluters) have agreed to boost climate cooperation over the next decade.
- 30 countries have signed a declaration to join the UK in banning new petrol and diesel car sales by 2030 and new petrol and diesel HGV sales by 2040. Although the world’s 3 largest car makers, the US, Germany and China have not signed the declaration yet. However, businesses and cities in these countries have.
- Glasgow finance alliance for net zero – 450 firms across 45 countries that control $130 trillion in assets agreed to make its members set robust science based near term targets.
For more information on how these may affect you or how we can we support you to achieve or exceed your environmental objectives please click here.